Monday, July 31, 2006

bonfires & boyfriends... be different.

On the last night of Awana camp (Friday), we had a bonfire with a testimony time to share what God had taught everyone during the week... It was such a good time, even though it was pretty cold. The time leading up to the bonfire, though, was absolutely hilarious. Throughout the week, my girls had been discussing how they "liked" several of the boys on our yellow team, and then when it got to like Thursday... Luke (who is a friend of my brothers, lives around the corner from us, and went with my family to camp) asked Abi (one of my girls) if she would go to the bonfire with him. And Benny asked Julie if she would go with him. They both said no, but then Julie was going on and on about how she wanted to just be friends with Benny, and why couldn't they just all go to the bonfire as friends, because yes, she liked Benny, but so did Jennifer. I had to smile. I mean, these are 11 & 12 year old kids!! Come on... why have a "boyfriend" when you're that age?? I haven't ever had one and I'm 22! It just struck me as funny that they thought it was such a big deal thing about whether or not to "go to the bonfire with him." We were all going anyway. Why does it matter who you "go with"? Anyway, those are my girls... Yeah... they were telling me all this and asking me what I thought about it and what they should do, because they didn't want to go with them, so I told them there's nothing at all wrong with going with everybody just as friends. ~ which is my personal belief.

Some girls are so obsessed with having this need to have a boyfriend, but I can't figure out their so-called "need" for that, because... God is going to bring you what you need, when you need it. I think it is good if you are not obsessed like that, and if you are not searching desperately for a boyfriend. It is good when you don't dress so as to try to get the attention of every guy who walks past. I can't see why anybody would want to have that kind of attention. When I someday have that... I want to only have the attention of one guy, and I want to be the only one that has his attention. That is the way it is meant to be. God didn't make us to have 10 billion "boyfriends" so you can break up with them every other day. That is not His desire. The only thing that would do is bring you hurt, and make you feel like you have less value. It would make you begin to believe that giving your heart away to every guy you meet is okay and the norm. And you know... these days, I guess it is the norm. But I don't want to be part of that norm, I want to go against it. I want to be different, and I want God to shine through that difference. So that is what I am choosing to be. Different, and a shining light for my God.

No comments: