Wednesday, August 16, 2006

cars and contentment...

"Cars" was the movie I waited all summer long to see... last night I finally had the chance to go and see it, and I have to say that (aside from a few lines, etc. that should have been left out...) it is my favorite of all the movies I've seen this summer. Yes, it did have some stuff in it that really isn't typical of Pixar, which surprised me, although I'd read a review in World Magazine along those lines. But as a whole, I really enjoyed the movie.

The message of the movie, about taking the time to slow down and enjoy life, was great. And another major theme of it was that winning is not everything... living in the "fast lane" leaves you empty and thirsty for something more. I think there are so many people out there who could stand to learn the lessons that the little red racecar, Lightning McQueen, learned in this movie. I think it is something we could all stand to learn and relearn at some point in our lives. It is so easy to get caught up in living your life, and then realize that you're too busy for everything and everyone you truly enjoy.

I love the small-town feel found in Radiator Springs too. Where everybody knows everybody else, and where they will go out of their way to help each other out and try to be an encouragement. Maybe loving that small-town feel comes from growing up just outside of a small-town myself ever since I was about 9 1/2... But whatever the reason for my love of the country and small towns... sure, places like New York City and Chicago are fun to go and visit, just to get to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I love historical stuff like that... I had such a fun day learning about the immigrants who came through Ellis Island and getting to sit on the benches where they sat, and searching through records from the ships for my great-grandpa's name... But as far as living there, that is just not me. Not really. Not at this point in time, at least. I don't know where God will take me in my future... maybe even to a different country that I've never even been to yet. Maybe some place like China or Cambodia, for all I know. Maybe to a big city in Brazil. Maybe Chicago or New York. Only God knows. But I'm content with where He's placed me, with where He wants me at this point in my life. I'm finishing up school and have a job there, and I get to be involved with my church in so many ways, mostly with the kids there... because kids are my life. I am so content with them... Not content with where I am with God, because I want to be constantly growing more and more into who He wants me to be, but I'm content with what He gives me in my life. My family, my friends, my church, my home,... my God.

Why should I go looking all over the place, searching high and low for my heart's desire, when it's either in my own backyard or I never really lost it in the first place?

So anyway, I really, really loved the message of contentment that was portrayed in "Cars." I guess I got off on a little rabbit trail there for a minute... When I began writing, I wasn't quite sure where I was going with it all. I just sort of start writing and let it go... I like to just listen to whatever God puts in my heart that I need to write out.

No comments: